What are factors influencing the development of emergent reading?
- visual components (recognizing letters/words)
- auditory (being read to/listen to stories)
- texture or "feel" of the book
- kinesthetic actions (turning pages)
What have you observed about young children's "emergent literacy?"
- memorizing a favorite book
- pretending to read
- "writing" by making marks or scribbles on a paper
- realizing that words are written-down speech
- recognizing familiar words (your name, STOP on a stop sign, etc.)
- connecting letters with sounds, or other early word decoding efforts
"The purpose of the Bridge to Reading Picture Book Award is to promote early literacy and reading to children through the introduction of quality picture books nominated by a committee of librarians, teachers, preschool and early literacy leaders."