Iowa Association of School Librarians and the Iowa Reading Association are combining their efforts to bring educators a conference that meets all needs! After spending months working behind the scenes, the IASL Board is pleased to provide our members this one year trial, side-by-side summer conference to be held June 25-27.
The Board met with representatives from the Iowa Reading Association to see about collaborating on a join conference, and we decided to try this joint, side-by-side conference on a one year trial basis. It is our hope that this trial will enable more teacher librarians to attend as well as allow us to collaborate with our classroom colleagues.
Why move to the summer? We listened to members about the timing of the conference and began seeking venues and opportunities to pilot a summer conference on a one-year trial basis. Feedback indicated that new policies to school districts prohibit teacher librarians from attending conferences during school days when students are in attendance. These new policies directly affected attendance to IASL 2017 conference. It is our hope that a summer conference will not interfere with any such school policy.
Why partner with the Iowa Reading Association? The IRA is very excited to partner with us. Their organization is strong both in numbers and involvement, and they have already established an excellent conference. Their enthusiasm for partnering with teacher librarians is exciting and refreshing, and our organizations working together will enable us to offer an amazing experience that will afford members of both organizations some unbelievable opportunities.
What makes this conference a better opportunity a for teacher librarians? There are a number of ways our members will benefit from this upcoming conference:
- We have time and sessions carved out to collaborate with fellow teacher librarians from across the state.
- We can learn from multiple keynote speakers who are nationally recognized in their profession.
- We get a chance to work with renowned authors in concurrent and work sessions.
- We can collaborate with classroom teachers who are also attending from schools as well as with those from across the state.
- We will enjoy a centralized location from one of Iowa's premiere universities: Iowa State University in Ames, IA! The facilities at ISU offer more flexibility for offerings and greater comfort for attendees.
But wait - there’s even more? Yep. Joining with IRA will let us offer Iowa teacher librarians more than just a fabulous conference:
- Those who attend will have the ability to earn graduate credit just for attending and doing a little extra summary.
- Prior to the conference, anyone interested can participate in one of two preconference book studies for an hour of recertification or graduate credit. (See the 2018 Conference Smore link for details about the book and registration deadline information.)
After this one-year trial conference, we will solicit feedback from our members to determine how we as an association, want to proceed with future conferences.
To get some details about the conference speakers and a brief look at the daily schedule, check out the 2017 IRA/IASL “Literacy Landmarks” Conference Smore. And be watching your emails in the next few days for information about registration, participating in the preconference book study for credit and the call for proposals!
2016 IASL Conference (See below)
This conference will focus on celebrating innovative technology and literacy connections in libraries, exploring new collaborations that unite these two forces, and developing new strategies for showing policy-makers, communities, other educators, and students that libraries and TLs are essential leaders in 21st century schools.
- When? 4PM Sunday, April 3 through 3:30PM Monday, April 4, 2016
- Where? Ramada Tropics Resort and Conference Center, Des Moines
- Who? John Schumacher (MrSchuReads) will speak Sunday, Michelle Luhtala will deliver the Monday morning keynote, and Iowa author Jill Esbaum will deliver the Monday luncheon keynote.
- Schedule: View the conference schedule on Sched--and create your own profile and schedule for the day!
- Registration: Online registration has ended. You may register at the conference and pay by check or PO.
- Contact Marci Titera (email@example.com) for questions regarding invoices.
- Please use the ILA address on your requisition:
- Iowa Library Association
- 6919 Vista Drive
- West Des Moines, IA 50266
- Questions? Contact Kate Lechtenberg, IASL PD and Conference Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org