IRA/IASL Joint Summer 2019
Dates: June 25-26, 2019
Location: Iowa State University, Scheman Building
Conference Registration Now Open
After the success of last year's joint summer conference, IRA and IASL are once again combining their efforts to bring educators a conference that meets the needs for all educators and fosters collaboration among teacher librarians, classroom teachers, and administrators. Registration for 2019 Joint Literacy Conference of the Iowa Reading Association and the Iowa Association of School Librarians is now open! Some engaging keynote and featured speakers are booked, both children and young adult authors will present. Concurrent session by educators from across the state will provide ample learning opportunities in a variety of areas.
Call for Proposals
If you are interested in presenting at the conference, complete the IRA/IASL Joint Conference Proposal Form and submit it by April 1, 2019. (Submission directions are on the form.) Conference Presenters receive 50% off the cost of registration.
Register before April 1, 2019 to receive the early-bird discount. You may register for the 2019 Joint Conference of the Iowa Reading Association and the Iowa Association of School Librarians in one of two ways:
- Go to the Joint Conference Information Page, complete the registration document, mail it in along with payment (or pay online).
- An online registration option is also available. A transaction fee will be assessed for online registration. Click or visit the Joint Conference Eventbrite to access that option.
Keynote speakers include author Kwame Alexander, (Crossover, Booked) and the Two Sisters, Gail Boushey and Alison Behne, who have a combined 60+ years of teaching experience in the kindergarten through college classroom. Gail is a nationally renowned author of books such as The Daily 5 and The CAFÉ Book and Alison is an assistant professor of education at Upper Iowa University, a writer, and a major contributor to The 2 Sisters practice innovations. The conference registration can be found here.
Tony Vincent has been a pioneer in digital learning since 1988, having a classroom website before many classrooms even had internet access. Hailing from Council Bluffs, Iowa, after 12 years of self-employment in the field of education and technology, Tony is back in the 5th grade classroom at College View Elementary School. Vincent is the authors of numerous books, videos, and an iPad app, and he blogs about learning and technology—all in an effort to support great teaching and deeper learning.
- Attending the conference provides evidence for Iowa Teaching Standard 7.
- Those who attend will have the ability to earn license renewal or graduate credit just for attending and writing a summary of the workshops attended. Contact Clark Goltz, Executive Director, at email@example.com for questions or additional details.
Why partner with the Iowa Reading Association? The IRA is very excited to partner with us. Their organization is strong both in numbers and involvement, and they have already established an excellent conference. Their enthusiasm for partnering with teacher librarians is exciting and refreshing, and our organizations working together will enable us to offer an amazing experience that will afford members of both organizations some unbelievable opportunities.
What makes this conference a better opportunity a for teacher librarians? There are a number of ways our members will benefit from this upcoming conference:
- We have time and sessions carved out to collaborate with fellow teacher librarians from across the state.
- We can learn from multiple keynote speakers who are nationally recognized in their profession.
- We get a chance to work with renowned authors in concurrent and work sessions.
- We can collaborate with classroom teachers who are also attending from schools as well as with those from across the state.
- We will enjoy a centralized location from one of Iowa's premiere universities: Iowa State University in Ames, IA! The facilities at ISU offer more flexibility for offerings and greater comfort for attendees.
2018 Conference, June 25-27, Ames, Iowa State Campus
2017 Conference, April 2 & 3, West Des Moines Marriott (8th annual)
2016 Conference, April 3 & 4, Des Moines Ramada (7th annual)
2015 Conference, April 12 & 13, Des Moines Ramada Inn (6th annual)
2014 Conference, April 13 & 14, Cedar Rapids Kirkwood Center (5th annual)
2013 Conference, April 7 & 8 (4th annual)
2012 Conference, April 15 & 16, Des Moines, Iowa (3rd annual)