IRA/IASL Joint Summer 2020
Dates: June 23-24, 2020
Location: Iowa State University, Scheman Building
Conference Registration Now Open
Registration is Open Now!
2020 Summer IRA/IASL Joint Conference: Reading the Sport of All Seasons
After the success of last year's joint summer conference, IRA and IASL are once again combining their efforts to bring educators a conference that meets the needs for all educators and fosters collaboration among teacher librarians, classroom teachers, and administrators. Registration for 2020 Joint Literacy Conference of the Iowa Reading Association and the Iowa Association of School Librarians is now open! Some engaging keynote and featured speakers are booked, both children and young adult authors will present. Concurrent session by educators from across the state will provide ample learning opportunities in a variety of areas.
Call for Proposals
Featured Keynote Speakers include:
- Susan L. Hall, ED. D - Cofounder and CEO of 95 Percent Group Inc.
- Kim Yaris - Coauthor of “Who’s Doing the Work?”
- Kevin Honeycutt - Teacher for 23+ years on a mission to prepare kids and empower teachers
- Barry White Jr. - “Handshake Teacher” with a mission to build relationships and assure students that their voice matters.
Other speakers include:
- Cornelius Minor
- Colby Sharp
- John Schu
- Deborah Reed
- Dr. Sarah Brown
- Duane Abel
- Attending the conference provides evidence for Iowa Teaching Standard 7.
- Those who attend will have the ability to earn license renewal or graduate credit just for attending and writing a summary of the workshops attended. More details to come.
Why partner with the Iowa Reading Association? The IRA is very excited to partner with us. Their organization is strong both in numbers and involvement, and they have already established an excellent conference. Their enthusiasm for partnering with teacher librarians is exciting and refreshing, and our organizations working together will enable us to offer an amazing experience that will afford members of both organizations some unbelievable opportunities.
What makes this conference a better opportunity a for teacher librarians? There are a number of ways our members will benefit from this upcoming conference:
- We have time and sessions carved out to collaborate with fellow teacher librarians from across the state.
- We can learn from multiple keynote speakers who are nationally recognized in their profession.
- We get a chance to work with renowned authors in concurrent and work sessions.
- We can collaborate with classroom teachers who are also attending from schools as well as with those from across the state.
- We will enjoy a centralized location from one of Iowa's premiere universities: Iowa State University in Ames, IA! The facilities at ISU offer more flexibility for offerings and greater comfort for attendees.
2018 Conference, June 25-27, Ames, Iowa State Campus
2017 Conference, April 2 & 3, West Des Moines Marriott (8th annual)
2016 Conference, April 3 & 4, Des Moines Ramada (7th annual)
2015 Conference, April 12 & 13, Des Moines Ramada Inn (6th annual)
2014 Conference, April 13 & 14, Cedar Rapids Kirkwood Center (5th annual)
2013 Conference, April 7 & 8 (4th annual)
2012 Conference, April 15 & 16, Des Moines, Iowa (3rd annual)