Members Working on Your Behalf
Nominations and Elections
Conducts the Election of Officers and Directors as set forth in the Bylaws. Term will be one year. Contact the Past President if interested.
Professional Development Growth
Promotes the professional development of the membership. Responsibilities include:
- Plan and publicize the spring conference.
- Recommend to the President at least one member of the Professional Development Committee to be nominated for the ILA Conference Planning Committee.
- Communicate with Area Education Agencies and others on professional development needs of the membership.
Promotes the professional interests of the membership. Responsibilities include:
- Communicate with the State Library, Department of Education and Area Education Agencies to upgrade and promote certification requirements and professional standards.
- Develop an advocacy program for Iowa Association of School Librarians.
Supports, monitors and advocates for the awards programs of the Iowa Association of School Librarians. There will be four subcommittees of the Awards Committee:
- Goldfinch Award – This subcommittee will plan and conduct activities for the annual Iowa Goldfinch Award program.
- Iowa Children’s Choice Award – This subcommittee will plan and conduct activities for the annual Iowa Children’s Choice Award program.
- Iowa Teen Award – This subcommittee will plan and conduct activities for the annual Iowa Teen Award program.
- Iowa High School Book Award – This subcommittee will plan and conduct activities for the annual Iowa High School Book Award.
- Annual Recognition Awards – This subcommittee will designate those persons to be honored by the Iowa Association of School Librarians as directed in the policies of the Board.
Other awards may be developed by the committee subject to approval by the Iowa Association of School Librarians Board of Directors and the ILA Board.
Responsible for the official publications of the Iowa Association of School Librarians including the web site and articles of interest to the membership to the ILA newsletter.
The College Readiness Committee is a joint committee with IASL (Iowa Association of School Librarians). The committee's purpose is to support K-12 library programs, ensure collaboration to provide strong K-16 information literacy efforts throughout the state, and conduct assessment and advocacy. For information about this committee and access to instructional materials, please see the College and Career Readiness web site.
Special or Ad Hoc Committees
Ad Hoc committees may be created by the Board to complete specific tasks of a temporary nature. The President will name the chair and members of Ad Hoc committees and designate tasks and budget subject to approval by the Board. Ad Hoc committees can exist for a period of up to two years.