Mission & Bylaws
Voting occurred during 2020 Board elections.
Below you will see the current bylaws
- Last updating occurred in 2004.
- Some language was outdated.
- Modernization in technology facilitates different meeting and voting processes.
- IASL Board position needs have shifted.
Board member Michelle Kruse chaired the revision process. She met with Dr. Donham to review and compare bylaws to current practices. Recommendation for revisions was brought to the IASL Board, was discussed, and voted on to bring to the membership for a full membership vote. The proposed bylaws changes were addressed at the IASL Membership Meeting at the June 2019 conference. Voting to adopt the bylaws changes will occur during the 2020 Board Member election.
IASL Mission Statement
The Iowa Association of School Librarians advocates for strong school library programs in all Iowa schools and provides leadership, education and support for its members.
To accomplish this mission, IASL will:
- Articulate a vision for school library programs in Iowa.
- Advocate for school library programs within the educational community, with governmental bodies and the public, (emphasizing the connection between high quality school library programs and student achievement).
- Support the professional development of our members.
- Foster 21st-century literacies in our schools, including reading and the effective use of technology.
- Support state and national guidelines for school library programs.
- Consult with and support the work of the Area Education Agencies' instructional resources programs.
- Consult with the Department of Education and the State Library regarding certification and other issues related to school libraries and teacher librarians.