What the IASL is working on for you:
PD and Award Update and COVID-19 Info
- We hope you are all healthy and safe as we navigate this unprecedented time in our lives and careers.
A couple of quick announcements.
- Iowa Book Award voting deadlines will be extended. We don't have a new deadline as of now but will share more information at a later date.
- 2020 IASL EdCamp Future Ready Librarians®, scheduled for May 2, 2020 at Van Meter Schools, is now cancelled.
As librarians we all believe we are the heart of our schools and school districts across the state. We know many have been working on ways they can best support their student populations and teachers.
IASL encourages you to contact your administration before sharing any resources to get their guidance on how your district will be handling distance learning if any. We also encourage you to reference the the Iowa Board of Education Website for information regarding education in the wake of COVID-19. They have a great FAQ document that I think you will find helpful.
While we know you want to be helpful and supportive any way you can, we also want to ensure that all educators are covering their bases and following the guidelines set forth by the state and your individual districts.
Stay safe everyone!
Action Alert - Wednesday, January 15, 2020
- We are in need of your efforts once again to help advocate by sending email to BOEE Board member TODAY!
- We were informed by our lobbyists that The Board of Educational Examiners (BOEE) is Advancing with a rule change that would lessen the required hours needed to complete a TL endorsement as well as many other curricular areas. Now, they plan to consider the rule change in the BOEE THIS THURSDAY morning. Process wise, they would need to pass it and then advance it to the Legislature's Administrative Rules Committee (whose next meeting is in February).
In short, these are the concerns with the pending BOEE TL Endorsement Changes:
- The new TL endorsement reduces the required hours for endorsement from 33 to 24.
- It allows 12 of these 24 hours to be accessible via reading endorsement classes, meaning only 4 courses would be required librarianship courses.
- Several other targeted groups including social sciences, language arts and others.
ACTION ITEMS FOR MEMBERS
- Send emails to BOEE of Educational Examiners who's email can be found HERE, they are compiled at the bottom of the doc for easy copy and paste.
- Messages can be just a couple of sentences:
- Mention the BOEE looking at changes to teacher librarian standards
- Expresses concern about the effect those changes will make in the profession
- For current TLs, the change would downgrade the value of their degrees
- Iowa is a leader in education because of our highly qualified teachers
- Teacher Librarian graduates will be less qualified and may be unprepared to take on the many roles and responsibilities of a teacher librarian which in turn will create lower quality library programs across the state
- Librarians in smaller districts are already stretched to their max and putting less qualified graduates into these roles would be detrimental to these library programs.
- Urges the BOEE to re-think this approach.
Please use your voice to advocate against this change for teacher librarian endorsement standards as well as the other curricular areas. Iowa is a leader in education for a reason and we need to maintain those high standards if we want to stay at the top.